Frequently asked questions

Underneath you find most frequently asked questions:

Who are the brokers that advertise on NL yachts?

Yacht brokers who are affiliated to the NBMS and/or HISWA brokers. Virtually every office employs a certified broker with considerable business expertise. Further information is available under ‘about NLyachts and contact’.

Which guarantee applies to the advertised yachts?

You are purchasing a used yacht from the vendor/owner. He/she does not give a guarantee. Intermediaries such as brokers also provide no guarantee for the sold yacht. Deficiencies known to the vendor and/or broker must be reported to the buyer and generally the broker will advise you to have the yacht inspected prior to purchase in order to avoid any unpleasant surprises. But please understand no guaratees are provided.

What can a purchase agent do for me?

A purchase agent can assist you during the purchase process, providing comprehensive support throughout the entire process or partial support, such as a valuation. The basis on which the purchase agents work may vary. A few purchase agents are affiliated to NBMS and/or HISWA. You can find them listed here.

Where can I find a suitable expert for a purchase inspection?

Professional purchase experts can be found at HISWA experts and EMCI-experts.

Is the handover handled by a notary?

If the yacht is recorded in the land registry the handover will be managed by a notary. If the yacht is not recorded in the land registry and traded as a movable asset, the broker shall see to the handover personally. The funds shall in that case flow via his third party funds foundation or pursuant to a procedure discussed beforehand with the parties.

Can you also have the yacht deregistered?

If there is no mortgage on the yacht the broker can assist you in deregistering the yacht. It can then be sold privately.

Which yachts require CE markings?

Yachts built after 16 June 1998 require a CE marking in accordance with design category A, B, C or D, CIN number and corresponding documentation.

Do I need to have a proof of VAT document on board at all times?

Yachts that navigate out of port must be able to demonstrate that the VAT has been paid via the original invoice or a customs declaration. Yachts that can prove that they were already in the EU before 1985 are exempt from this. A yacht that enters the EU from outside Europe must pay VAT in Europe and retain the invoice as proof.

Yachts that navigate to destinations abroad over inland waterways do not need to submit VAT documents.

VAT form for a recreational craft

You can apply for a VAT form for a recreational craft. Upon your return to the Netherlands, you can use a VAT form for a recreational craft to show that the VAT on the recreational craft has been paid in the Netherlands and has not been repaid. This is only possible within the period of validity of the VAT form.

Conditions for issuing this form: you are a private individual, the sales tax has been paid in the Netherlands and it has not been repaid. The original invoice shall serve as proof.

VAT invoice

The following tips are provided by customs: Keep the invoice on your yacht at all times and do not throw it away! When navigating on inland waterways, you do not need to expect VAT checks and consequently a VAT-related issue is rare. When purchasing a yacht from a company, you need to make sure that the invoice supplied includes the VAT number of the company. Checks usually only take place for seafaring yachts.

You can upgrade your yacht by renovating it. If this work involves a VAT payment worth a few hundred euros you will receive a VAT form.

Other questions

For any other questions you can, of course, contact one of the professional brokers in your area. The list of participating brokers can be found here.

tell us your opinion

  • send